This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse prepares to teach patients about the safety and efficacy of herbal preparations. Which ... (Read 75 times)

captainjonesify

The nurse prepares to teach patients about the safety and efficacy of herbal preparations. Which statement would be included in the best plan by the nurse?

1. Herbal preparations must be tested for safety and efficacy prior to marketing.
  2. The label on the herbal preparation is required by the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) to be accurate.
  3. Herbal preparations have to meet the same safety and efficacy standards as prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.
  4. The manufacturer does not have to prove the safety or efficacy of the herbal preparation.

Question 2

The nurse has been teaching a patient about herbal preparations and determines that additional teaching is required when the patient makes which statement?

1. I should check with you before using an herbal product.
  2. Herbal products usually contain only one active ingredient.
  3. I need to be careful about where I store my herbal product.
  4. Herbal preparations are available in solid and liquid forms.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ally

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: Herbal products are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for safety standards. They are regulated by a far less rigorous law, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994, which does not require the manufacturer to demonstrate efficacy or safety of the herbal product. The federal government does not require herbal preparations to be tested for safety and efficacy prior to marketing. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act DSHEA does not regulate the accuracy of the label; the product may or may not contain the product listed, in the amounts claimed. Herbal preparations do not have to meet the same safety standards as prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Herbal products contain multiple active ingredients as opposed to prescription drugs, which contain only one active ingredient. Herbal preparations are available in solid and liquid forms. Patients should check with the nurse before using an herbal product. Where and how an herbal product is stored can affect its potency.

captainjonesify

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

jackie

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library