This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client is receiving methadone (Dolophine), a Schedule II drug. The client says to the nurse, ... (Read 58 times)

mwit1967

The client is receiving methadone (Dolophine), a Schedule II drug.

The client says to the nurse, A pharmacist told me his pharmacy must register with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to give me this drug; will DEA agents be snooping around my house? What is the best response by the nurse?
  1. It is probably unlikely that Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents will be bothering you.
  2. No, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) restricts drugs that have a high potential for abuse.
  3. No. I think our system should be more like Europe; they have fewer controlled drugs.
  4. That's an interesting question. Are you worried about the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)?

Question 2

The client says to the nurse, My doctor said my drug is a controlled substance; am I considered an addict? What is the best response by the nurse?

1. Are you concerned about becoming an addict? We can discuss this in more detail it you would like to.
  2. You are not an addict; the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) restricts the use of drugs with a high potential for abuse.
  3. Why do you ask about becoming an addict? Not many of our clients have asked this question.
  4. You are not an addict, but the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) will monitor you for this.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

olivia_paige29

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: The Controlled Substance Act of 1970 restricts the use of drugs that have a high potential for abuse. Hospitals and pharmacies must register with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to obtain a specific registration number that will enable them to purchase controlled drugs. Telling the client that Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents will probably not bother him can lead the client to think DEA agents might bother him. Asking the client if he is worried about the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) puts him on the defensive and is non-therapeutic. By saying that our system should be more like Europe's, the nurse is introducing her beliefs and this is non-therapeutic; the client may not agree.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Drugs that have a high potential for addiction are considered controlled substances. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) does not monitor clients for addiction when they receive controlled substances. It is premature at this time to ask the client if he is concerned about addiction; there is no information to support an addiction. Why questions are considered non-therapeutic because they put the client on the defensive.

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library