This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been prescribed albendazole on an outpatient basis for an anthelmintic infection. ... (Read 21 times)

tsand2

A patient has been prescribed albendazole on an outpatient basis for an anthelmintic infection. After teaching the patient about the therapy, which statement by the patient indicates effective teaching?

A) Easy bruising or bleeding is normal and needn't be reported.
  B) I need to disinfect the bathtub or shower stall immediately after bathing.
  C) I should avoid bathing daily if I have problems with my skin.
  D) I need to use oral contraceptives while I'm taking this drug.

Question 2

A patient is prescribed metronidazole for intestinal amebiasis. Which of the following instructions should the nurse give to the patient regarding the drug?

A) Take the drug on an empty stomach.
  B) Avoid intake of alcohol.
  C) Guard against effects of photosensitivity.
  D) Take phenobarbital for impaired sleep.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

qytan

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
The nurse should instruct the patient to disinfect the bathtub or shower stall immediately after bathing to avoid spreading the infection. Thrombocytopenia or easy bruising or bleeding is not normal and should be reported immediately. Impaired skin integrity is not associated with albendazole, so there is no need to avoid bathing daily. Instead of oral contraceptives, the nurse should recommend the barrier method during the course of therapy and for 1 month after discontinuing the therapy.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
The nurse should instruct the patient to avoid the use of alcohol, in any form, until the course of treatment is completed. The ingestion of alcohol may cause a mild to severe reaction, with symptoms of severe vomiting, headache, nausea, abdominal cramps, flushing, and sweating. Metronidazole should be taken with food or meals, not on an empty stomach. Photosensitivity is not one of the side effects of metronidazole. Phenobarbital should be avoided, as it increases the metabolism of metronidazole.

tsand2

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

DylanD1323

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Adults are resistant to the bacterium that causes Botulism. These bacteria thrive in honey – therefore, honey should never be given to infants since their immune systems are not yet resistant.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library