This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement made by an older adult patient would require further teaching by the nurse? a. ... (Read 23 times)

big1devin

Which statement made by an older adult patient would require further teaching by the nurse?

a. Nonprescription drugs will not interfere with my prescribed medications.
  b. I can get non-childproof lids for my pills from the pharmacist.
  c. Alcohol can affect drug action.
  d. I will report any signs of drug toxicity to my doctor.

Question 2

Medications have both trade and generic names. Which two medication names represent the same drug?

a. Demerol
  b. Codeine
  c. Valium
  d. Morphine
  e. Diazepam

Question 3

When a nurse realizes that a medication error has occurred, the nurse should take which of the following steps? (Select all that apply.)

a. Immediately check the patient and determine if the error poses a risk to the patient's condition. If so, notify the physician immediately.
  b. Try to find someone to blame for the error.
  c. Notify the nursing supervisor.
  d. Analyze how and why the error occurred, and how it might be avoided in the future.
  e. Record in the patient's chart exactly what happened and fill out any other required (incident/medication error) reports.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Eazy416

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
You must be sure that older adult patients are taught how to take their prescription medications and about the danger of taking nonprescription drugs at the same time. Elderly patients often have age-related decline in renal and hepatic function, which can affect how their bodies handle many over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and prescription drugs. They may also have some loss in hepatic reserve, thereby placing them at increased risk of adverse effects when drugs are added to their existing treatment plan. The risk of adverse drug interactions is also increased if the elderly patients' physicians don't know all the drugs they are taking.

Answer to Question 2

Thank you

Answer to Question 3

ANS: A, C, D, E
Research must be done to determine whether the mistake was a system error, a unique mistake, or a deliberate wrongdoing. The goal is to avoid similar future occurrences.

big1devin

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

dyrone

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library