This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has provided medication education to a patient who was just diagnosed with asthma. The ... (Read 32 times)

Ebrown

The nurse has provided medication education to a patient who was just diagnosed with asthma. The nurse would evaluate that additional teaching is necessary when the patient makes which statement? (Select all that apply.)

1. My albuterol inhaler should be taken routinely to prevent asthma attacks.
  2. I should plan to take my corticosteroid for the rest of my life.
  3. My cromolyn inhaler (Intal) will help me prevent asthma attacks.
  4. I'll use my montelukast (Singulair) inhaler every day.
  5. My therapy will include both oral and inhaled drugs.

Question 2

When administering PO medications, the nurse must plan how and when to administer the drug. What is not a factor when planning to administer a PO medication?

1. How long should the infusion last?
  2. Can the medication be crushed?
  3. Should the medication be given on an empty stomach?
  4. Can the medication be split?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tdewitt

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Albuterol inhalers are used as rescue medications.
Rationale 2: Corticosteroids are short-term drugs.
Rationale 3: Cromolyn (Intal) is a mast cell stabilizer and will help prevent asthma attacks.
Rationale 4: Montelukast (Singulair) is an oral drug.
Rationale 5: Therapy will include both oral and inhaled drugs.

Global Rationale: Albuterol inhalers are used as rescue medications. Corticosteroids are short-term drugs. Montelukast (Singulair) is an oral drug. Cromolyn (Intal) is a mast cell stabilizer and will help prevent asthma attacks. Therapy will include both oral and inhaled drugs.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: The medication to be administered is oral, not an infusion.
Rationale 2: Whether the medication can be crushed needs to be considered when administering PO medications.
Rationale 3: Whether the medication should be given on an empty stomach needs to be considered when administering PO medications.
Rationale 4: Whether the medication can be split needs to be considered when administering PO medications.

Global Rationale: PO medications are administered orally, not by infusion. Items that should be considered include whether the medication can be crushed, whether it can be taken on an empty stomach, and whether the medication can be split.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library