This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been prescribed nifedipine (Adalat CC) as treatment for hypertension. The nurse would ... (Read 6 times)

arivle123

A patient has been prescribed nifedipine (Adalat CC) as treatment for hypertension. The nurse would evaluate medication instruction as effective if the patient makes which statements?

1. If I drink alcohol while taking this medication, I will get very sick to my stomach.
  2. I should stop taking my melatonin sleep medication.
  3. I should no longer drink grapefruit juice.
  4. I should no longer drink sports drinks with caffeine in them.
  5. I should stop taking my vitamin C supplement.

Question 2

The patient is scheduled to have an EEG to confirm the presence of a sleep disorder. The patient asks the nurse to describe NREM stage 3 sleep. What is the best response by the nurse?

1. This is the lightest stage of sleep and is profoundly affected by anxiety.
  2. Dreaming occurs here; without dreams you will be irritable and paranoid.
  3. This is the deepest stage of sleep; without it you will be tired and depressed.
  4. This is the also called paradoxical sleep.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Mollythedog

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Alcohol may potentiate the effects of nifedipine (Adalat CC), but this combination does not cause gastric irritation.
Rationale 2: Concurrent use with melatonin may increase blood pressure and heart rate.
Rationale 3: Grapefruit juice may enhance absorption of nifedipine (Adalat CC).
Rationale 4: Caffeine is not contraindicated when taking nifedipine (Adalat CC).
Rationale 5: Vitamin C supplements are not contraindicated when taking nifedipine (Adalat CC).

Global Rationale: Concurrent use with melatonin may increase blood pressure and heart rate. Grapefruit juice may enhance absorption of nifedipine (Adalat CC). Alcohol may potentiate the effects of nifedipine (Adalat CC), but this combination does not cause gastric irritation. Caffeine and vitamin C supplements are not contraindicated when taking nifedipine (Adalat CC).

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: NREM stage 3 sleep is the deepest stage of sleep. Patients who are deprived of it experience depression and a feeling of apathy and fatigue.
Rationale 2: Dreaming occurs in REM sleep, not NREM sleep.

Rationale 3: NREM stage 3 is not the lightest stage of sleep.

Rationale 4: REM sleep is often called paradoxical sleep.

Global Rationale: NREM stage 3 sleep is the deepest stage of sleep. Patients who are deprived of it experience depression and feelings of apathy and fatigue. Dreaming occurs in REM sleep, not NREM sleep. NREM stage 3 is not the lightest stage of sleep. REM sleep is often called paradoxical sleep.

arivle123

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

bassamabas

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library