This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient states, I stopped taking that beta blocker last week. It made me so tired, I just couldn't ... (Read 50 times)

tichca

A patient states, I stopped taking that beta blocker last week. It made me so tired, I just couldn't go on taking it. What are the priority nursing assessments? Note: Credit will be given only if all correct choices and no incorrect choices are selected. Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Blood pressure
  2. Heart rhythm
  3. Urinary output
  4. Presence of chest pain
  5. Presence of respiratory crackles

Question 2

What is a priority nursing intervention for a patient who has just begun antihypertensive treatment with enalapril (Vasotec)?

1. Monitor the patient for headaches.
  2. Take the patient's blood pressure.
  3. Order a sodium-restricted diet for the patient.
  4. Review the patient's lab results for hypokalemia.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

stillxalice

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Abruptly discontinuing beta blockers may result in acute resurgence of symptoms such as hypertension.
Rationale 2: Abruptly discontinuing beta blockers may result in acute resurgence of symptoms such as dysrhythmia.
Rationale 3: Abruptly discontinuing beta blockers should not have an immediate effect on urinary output.
Rationale 4: Abruptly discontinuing beta blockers may result in chest pain.
Rationale 5: Abruptly discontinuing beta blockers should not result in pulmonary complications.

Global Rationale: Abruptly discontinuing beta blockers may result in acute resurgence of symptoms such as hypertension, dysrhythmia, and the development of chest pain. Abruptly discontinuing beta blockers should not have an immediate effect on urinary output and should not result in pulmonary complications.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Although headache is a side effect, it is not the priority.
Rationale 2: Enalapril (Vasotec) may produce a first-dose phenomenon resulting in profound hypotension, which may result in syncope.
Rationale 3: Enalapril (Vasotec) does not affect sodium levels.
Rationale 4: Enalapril (Vasotec) is more likely to cause hyperkalemia, not hypokalemia.
Global Rationale: Enalapril (Vasotec) may produce a first-dose phenomenon resulting in profound hypotension, which may result in syncope. Enalapril (Vasotec) is more likely to cause hyperkalemia, not hypokalemia. Enalapril (Vasotec) does not affect sodium levels. Although headache is a side effect, it is not as big a priority as profound hypotension.

tichca

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library