This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient begins taking nifedipine (Procardia), along with a beta blocker, to treat hypertension. ... (Read 36 times)

drink

A patient begins taking nifedipine (Procardia), along with a beta blocker, to treat hypertension. The nurse understands that the beta blocker is used to:

a. reduce flushing.
  b. minimize gingival hyperplasia.
  c. prevent constipation.
  d. prevent reflex tachycardia.

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient who will begin taking verapamil (Calan) for hypertension about the drug's side effects. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may become constipated, so I should increase fluids and fiber.
  b. I may experience a rapid heart rate as a result of taking this drug.
  c. I may have swelling of my hands and feet, but this will subside.
  d. I may need to increase my digoxin dose while taking this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

amy.lauersdorf90

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Beta blockers are combined with nifedipine to prevent reflex tachycardia. Beta blockers do not reduce flushing, minimize gingival hyperplasia, or prevent constipation. Beta blockers can reduce the adverse cardiac effects of nifedipine.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Constipation is common with verapamil and can be minimized by increasing dietary fiber and fluids. Verapamil lowers the heart rate. Peripheral edema may occur secondary to vasodilation, and patients should notify their prescriber if this occurs, because the prescriber may use diuretics to treat the condition. Verapamil and digoxin have similar cardiac effects; also, verapamil may increase plasma levels of digoxin by as much as 60, so digoxin doses may need to be reduced.

drink

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

helenmarkerine

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library