This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient begins taking nifedipine (Procardia), along with a beta blocker, to treat hypertension. ... (Read 40 times)

drink

A patient begins taking nifedipine (Procardia), along with a beta blocker, to treat hypertension. The nurse understands that the beta blocker is used to:

a. reduce flushing.
  b. minimize gingival hyperplasia.
  c. prevent constipation.
  d. prevent reflex tachycardia.

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient who will begin taking verapamil (Calan) for hypertension about the drug's side effects. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may become constipated, so I should increase fluids and fiber.
  b. I may experience a rapid heart rate as a result of taking this drug.
  c. I may have swelling of my hands and feet, but this will subside.
  d. I may need to increase my digoxin dose while taking this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

amy.lauersdorf90

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Beta blockers are combined with nifedipine to prevent reflex tachycardia. Beta blockers do not reduce flushing, minimize gingival hyperplasia, or prevent constipation. Beta blockers can reduce the adverse cardiac effects of nifedipine.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Constipation is common with verapamil and can be minimized by increasing dietary fiber and fluids. Verapamil lowers the heart rate. Peripheral edema may occur secondary to vasodilation, and patients should notify their prescriber if this occurs, because the prescriber may use diuretics to treat the condition. Verapamil and digoxin have similar cardiac effects; also, verapamil may increase plasma levels of digoxin by as much as 60, so digoxin doses may need to be reduced.

drink

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

emsimon14

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

In 1844, Charles Goodyear obtained the first patent for a rubber condom.

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library