This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has taken an antipsychotic drug for many years develops tardive dyskinesia. This ... (Read 57 times)

bobbysung

A patient who has taken an antipsychotic drug for many years develops tardive dyskinesia. This syndrome would be classified as:

1. an allergic reaction.
  2. an idiosyncratic effect.
  3. an iatrogenic disease.
  4. a teratogenic effect.

Question 2

A patient has been treated with opioids for a year for back pain. After successful surgery the patient's pain is greatly improved.

The patient reports, I stopped taking my pain medication when I got home from the hospital, but I got very sick with diarrhea and generalized pain. Select the nurse's best response.
  1. This is a common idiosyncratic effect. Over-the-counter antidiarrheals and nonsteroidal agents will help you ride it out.
  2. Restart the pain medication. It is now required for life because you have tolerance toward opioids.
  3. You are experiencing toxicity from the drugs used during the hospitalization and will need to be rehospitalized.
  4. Your reaction is associated with physical dependence on opioids. We will design a tapering dose schedule to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.