This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has taken an antipsychotic drug for many years develops tardive dyskinesia. This ... (Read 59 times)

bobbysung

A patient who has taken an antipsychotic drug for many years develops tardive dyskinesia. This syndrome would be classified as:

1. an allergic reaction.
  2. an idiosyncratic effect.
  3. an iatrogenic disease.
  4. a teratogenic effect.

Question 2

A patient has been treated with opioids for a year for back pain. After successful surgery the patient's pain is greatly improved.

The patient reports, I stopped taking my pain medication when I got home from the hospital, but I got very sick with diarrhea and generalized pain. Select the nurse's best response.
  1. This is a common idiosyncratic effect. Over-the-counter antidiarrheals and nonsteroidal agents will help you ride it out.
  2. Restart the pain medication. It is now required for life because you have tolerance toward opioids.
  3. You are experiencing toxicity from the drugs used during the hospitalization and will need to be rehospitalized.
  4. Your reaction is associated with physical dependence on opioids. We will design a tapering dose schedule to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aprice35067

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4

bobbysung

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

tuate

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

Though “Krazy Glue” or “Super Glue” has the ability to seal small wounds, it is not recommended for this purpose since it contains many substances that should not enter the body through the skin, and may be harmful.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library