This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A child is diagnosed with cryptosporidiosis, and the prescriber orders nitazoxanide (Alinia). While ... (Read 12 times)

Yolanda

A child is diagnosed with cryptosporidiosis, and the prescriber orders nitazoxanide (Alinia). While preparing the child's parents to administer this drug, the nurse will:

a. determine whether the child is taking immunosuppressant medications.
  b. instruct the family to have the child take the drug on an empty stomach.
  c. teach the parents that yellow discoloration of the sclerae represents a serious side effect.
  d. tell the parents that headache, dry mouth, and a metallic taste are common.

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient who is preparing to travel for a month-long missionary trip to Africa. The provider has ordered chloroquine (Aralen Phosphate) as suppressive therapy.

Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?
  a. I should continue taking the drug for 2 weeks after returning home.
  b. I should take 500 mg of this drug once each week.
  c. I should take the first dose 1 week before leaving for Africa.
  d. I should take this drug with meals.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

macagnavarro

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Nitazoxanide is approved for diarrhea caused by Cryptosporidium parvum in children only and is only effective in children who are immunocompetent. The nurse should assess whether the child is taking immunosuppressant medications. This drug should be given with food. Yellow discoloration of the sclerae may occur but resolves when the drug is discontinued. Headache, dry mouth, and a metallic taste are common side effects of metronidazole.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Patients taking chloroquine as suppressive therapy should take the medication for 4 weeks, not 2 weeks, after returning from an area where infection is likely. The patient is correct to state that 500 mg of the drug should be taken weekly, that the first dose should be taken 1 week before travel, and that the drug should be taken with meals.

Yolanda

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

kusterl

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library