This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A child is diagnosed with cryptosporidiosis, and the prescriber orders nitazoxanide (Alinia). While ... (Read 14 times)

Yolanda

A child is diagnosed with cryptosporidiosis, and the prescriber orders nitazoxanide (Alinia). While preparing the child's parents to administer this drug, the nurse will:

a. determine whether the child is taking immunosuppressant medications.
  b. instruct the family to have the child take the drug on an empty stomach.
  c. teach the parents that yellow discoloration of the sclerae represents a serious side effect.
  d. tell the parents that headache, dry mouth, and a metallic taste are common.

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient who is preparing to travel for a month-long missionary trip to Africa. The provider has ordered chloroquine (Aralen Phosphate) as suppressive therapy.

Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?
  a. I should continue taking the drug for 2 weeks after returning home.
  b. I should take 500 mg of this drug once each week.
  c. I should take the first dose 1 week before leaving for Africa.
  d. I should take this drug with meals.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

macagnavarro

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Nitazoxanide is approved for diarrhea caused by Cryptosporidium parvum in children only and is only effective in children who are immunocompetent. The nurse should assess whether the child is taking immunosuppressant medications. This drug should be given with food. Yellow discoloration of the sclerae may occur but resolves when the drug is discontinued. Headache, dry mouth, and a metallic taste are common side effects of metronidazole.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Patients taking chloroquine as suppressive therapy should take the medication for 4 weeks, not 2 weeks, after returning from an area where infection is likely. The patient is correct to state that 500 mg of the drug should be taken weekly, that the first dose should be taken 1 week before travel, and that the drug should be taken with meals.

Yolanda

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

sultansheikh

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library