This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is providing teaching for an adult patient with arthritis who has been instructed to take ... (Read 10 times)

dalyningkenk

A nurse is providing teaching for an adult patient with arthritis who has been instructed to take ibuprofen (Motrin) for discomfort. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I may experience tinnitus with higher doses of this medication.
  b. I may take up to 800 mg 4 times daily for pain.
  c. I should limit alcohol intake to fewer than three drinks a day.
  d. I will take this medication with meals to help prevent stomach upset.

Question 2

A patient who reports regular consumption of two or three alcoholic beverages per day asks about taking acetaminophen when needed for occasional, recurrent pain. What will the nurse tell the patient?

a. Do not take more than 2 gm of acetaminophen a day.
  b. Do not take more than 3 gm of acetaminophen a day.
  c. Do not take more than 4 gm of acetaminophen a day.
  d. Do not take a fixed-dose preparation with opioid analgesics.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

milbourne11

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
NSAIDs do not cause salicylism and therefore do not cause tinnitus with higher doses. The maximum dose for adults is 3200 mg/day, or 800 mg 4 times/day. Patients taking NSAIDs should be cautioned to limit alcohol intake. Taking NSAIDs with meals helps prevent GI upset.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Acetaminophen poses a risk of liver toxicity when taken chronically or in larger doses, especially when combined with alcohol. Patients who drink regularly should be advised to take acetaminophen in low doses and not to exceed 2 gm per day.

dalyningkenk

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

matt95

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library