This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 14-year-old male patient who plays football is admitted to the hospital. The nurse notes that the ... (Read 41 times)

abern

A 14-year-old male patient who plays football is admitted to the hospital. The nurse notes that the patient has short stature for his age according to a standard growth chart. The patient is muscular, has a deep voice, and needs to shave.

The nurse notifies the provider of these findings. Which test will the nurse expect the provider to order?
  a. Coagulation studies
  b. Complete blood count (CBC) with differential
  c. Liver function tests and serum cholesterol
  d. Serum glucose and hemoglobin A1c

Question 2

A nurse is providing education to a patient who is beginning therapy with testosterone gel. What statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. I should not shower or swim for at least 5 to 6 hours after application.
  b. I should avoid direct skin-to-skin contact with my spouse where the medication was applied.
  c. I should have my blood drawn for laboratory tests in 14 days.
  d. I should apply the entire contents of the packet to my genitals.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mammy1697

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Adverse effects of androgen abuse can cause hepatotoxicity and an elevated serum cholesterol level, with a decrease in HDL cholesterol and an increase in LDL cholesterol. Blood coagulation is not affected. A CBC is not indicated. Serum glucose and hemoglobin A1c levels are not indicated.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The medication should be applied to the arms and upper torso, not to the genitalia; this statement indicates a need for further teaching. The patient should be instructed not to shower, bathe, or swim for 5 to 6 hours after applying the medication. The patient should be instructed to keep areas where the medication was applied covered to prevent direct skin-to-skin contact with others. The patient should be advised to return to the clinic within 2 weeks for blood tests.

abern

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

sailorcrescent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library