This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with a history of angina and hypertension is being started on nicotinic acid (Niacin). The ... (Read 22 times)

SO00

A patient with a history of angina and hypertension is being started on nicotinic acid (Niacin). The nurse is providing patient education. What statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. I will take Tylenol with my medication to reduce the inflammatory effects.
  b. I will be cautious taking this medication, because I have mild liver damage.
  c. I will take an aspirin 30 minutes before my niacin to reduce flushing.
  d. This medication will lower my triglyceride levels.

Question 2

A prescriber is considering prescribing the amiodarone derivative dronedarone (Multaq) for a patient with atrial flutter. The nurse should be concerned about which of the following?

a. History of asthma
  b. History of hypothyroidism
  c. PR interval of 260 msec
  d. QT interval of 520 msec

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nyrave

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Intense flushing of the face, neck, and ears occurs in practically all patients taking nicotinic acid in pharmacologic doses. Tylenol will not reduce the flushing or inflammatory effects of the medication; further patient teaching is required. The flushing reaction diminishes in several weeks and can be attenuated by taking 325 mg of aspirin 30 minutes before each dose. Nicotinic acid is hepatotoxic; therefore, the patient should be taught to have the liver enzymes checked and to self-monitor for signs and symptoms. Nicotinic acid reduces low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and triglyceride (TG) levels.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Because dronedarone prolongs the QT interval by about 10 msec, it should not be used in patients with a QT interval of more than 500 msec. It does not have significant pulmonary or thyroid toxicity. It should not be used in patients with a PR interval of more than 280 msec.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library