This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a patient with hypertension and diabetes. The patient's prescriber recently ... (Read 19 times)

misspop

A nurse is caring for a patient with hypertension and diabetes. The patient's prescriber recently ordered an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the nurse's teaching about this drug?
  a. ACE inhibitors only dilate veins, so I may have more edema in my ankles.
  b. ACE inhibitors prevent the nervous system from causing increased blood pressure.
  c. This drug can also cause shortness of breath because of bronchoconstriction .
  d. This drug will help lower my blood pressure and will benefit my kidneys.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who is taking a vasodilator that dilates capacitance vessels. The nurse will expect which effect in this patient?

a. Decrease in cardiac work
  b. Increase in cardiac output
  c. Increase in tissue perfusion
  d. Increase in venous return

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ahnyah

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
ACE inhibitors reduce blood pressure and help preserve renal function in people with diabetes. ACE inhibitors dilate both veins and arterioles. ACE inhibitors work on the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, not the nervous system. ACE inhibitors do not have effects on the bronchioles of the lungs.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Vasodilators that dilate capacitance vessels, or veins, lead to a decrease in venous return to the heart, which reduces preload and the force of ventricular contraction. The resultant effect is a decrease in cardiac work. With a decrease in ventricular contraction, cardiac output is reduced, as is tissue perfusion. Dilation of veins causes a decrease in venous return.

misspop

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

LegendaryAnswers

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library