This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been taking chlorthalidone to treat hypertension. The patient's prescriber has just ... (Read 14 times)

fbq8i

A patient has been taking chlorthalidone to treat hypertension. The patient's prescriber has just ordered the addition of spironolactone to the patient's drug regimen. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I should continue following the DASH diet when adding this drug.
  b. I should not take an ACE inhibitor when adding this drug.
  c. I will need to take potassium supplements when adding this drug.
  d. I will not experience a significant increase in diuresis when adding this drug.

Question 2

A nurse is discussing how beta blockers work to decrease blood pressure with a nursing student. Which statement by the student indicates a need for further teaching?

a. Beta blockers block the actions of angiotensin II.
  b. Beta blockers decrease heart rate and contractility.
  c. Beta blockers decrease peripheral vascular resistance.
  d. Beta blockers decrease the release of renin.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcni194

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Spironolactone is given in addition to thiazide diuretics to balance potassium loss caused by the thiazide diuretic. Patients should be advised against taking potassium supplements with spironolactone, because hyperkalemia can result. The DASH diet may be continued. ACE inhibitors are contraindicated because they promote hyperkalemia. Spironolactone does not significantly increase diuresis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Beta blockers reduce the release of renin by blockade of beta1 receptors on juxtaglomerular cells in the kidney, which reduces angiotensin II-mediated vasoconstriction, but do not block the actions of angiotensin II directly. Beta blockers decrease heart rate and cardiac contractility, decrease peripheral vascular resistance, and decrease the release of renin.

fbq8i

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

ghepp

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

According to research, pregnant women tend to eat more if carrying a baby boy. Male fetuses may secrete a chemical that stimulates their mothers to step up her energy intake.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library