This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been taking chlorthalidone to treat hypertension. The patient's prescriber has just ... (Read 16 times)

fbq8i

A patient has been taking chlorthalidone to treat hypertension. The patient's prescriber has just ordered the addition of spironolactone to the patient's drug regimen. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I should continue following the DASH diet when adding this drug.
  b. I should not take an ACE inhibitor when adding this drug.
  c. I will need to take potassium supplements when adding this drug.
  d. I will not experience a significant increase in diuresis when adding this drug.

Question 2

A nurse is discussing how beta blockers work to decrease blood pressure with a nursing student. Which statement by the student indicates a need for further teaching?

a. Beta blockers block the actions of angiotensin II.
  b. Beta blockers decrease heart rate and contractility.
  c. Beta blockers decrease peripheral vascular resistance.
  d. Beta blockers decrease the release of renin.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcni194

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Spironolactone is given in addition to thiazide diuretics to balance potassium loss caused by the thiazide diuretic. Patients should be advised against taking potassium supplements with spironolactone, because hyperkalemia can result. The DASH diet may be continued. ACE inhibitors are contraindicated because they promote hyperkalemia. Spironolactone does not significantly increase diuresis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Beta blockers reduce the release of renin by blockade of beta1 receptors on juxtaglomerular cells in the kidney, which reduces angiotensin II-mediated vasoconstriction, but do not block the actions of angiotensin II directly. Beta blockers decrease heart rate and cardiac contractility, decrease peripheral vascular resistance, and decrease the release of renin.

fbq8i

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

aliotak

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library