This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient recently was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The patient, who has a history of seasonal ... (Read 46 times)

rlane42

A patient recently was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The patient, who has a history of seasonal allergies, is an athlete who participates in track.

The nurse is teaching the patient about lithium (Lithobid), which the prescriber has just ordered. Which statement by the patient indicates the need for further teaching?
  a. I can continue to use ibuprofen as needed for muscle pain.
  b. I should drink extra fluids before and during exercise.
  c. I should not use antihistamines while taking lithium.
  d. I should report muscle weakness and tremors to my provider.

Question 2

A patient taking an MAOI is seen in the clinic with a blood pressure of 170/96 mm Hg. What will the nurse ask this patient?

a. Whether any antihypertensive medications are used
  b. Whether the patient drinks grapefruit juice
  c. To list all foods eaten that day
  d. Whether SSRIs are taken in addition to the MAOI

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Eazy416

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Because nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can increase lithium levels as much as 60, they should not be used by patients taking lithium. Aspirin does not have this effect. Lithium induces polyuria in 50 to 70 of patients, so patients should be advised to drink extra fluids, especially during exercise. Antihistamines have anticholinergic effects, which cause urinary hesitancy; this can be uncomfortable when patients experience the polyuria associated with lithium use. Muscle weakness and tremors can occur with lithium; tremors can be treated with beta blockers or by altering the lithium regimen.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Patients taking an MAOI should be counseled to follow strict dietary restrictions and to avoid all foods containing tyramine. Patients who consume such foods when taking an MAOI experience a hypertensive episode. Antihypertensive medications, given with an MAOI, will result in hypotension. Grapefruit juice does not alter the metabolism of an MAOI. SSRIs and MAOIs, when administered together, cause a serotonin syndrome.

rlane42

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

nanny

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library