This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient recently was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The patient, who has a history of seasonal ... (Read 47 times)

rlane42

A patient recently was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The patient, who has a history of seasonal allergies, is an athlete who participates in track.

The nurse is teaching the patient about lithium (Lithobid), which the prescriber has just ordered. Which statement by the patient indicates the need for further teaching?
  a. I can continue to use ibuprofen as needed for muscle pain.
  b. I should drink extra fluids before and during exercise.
  c. I should not use antihistamines while taking lithium.
  d. I should report muscle weakness and tremors to my provider.

Question 2

A patient taking an MAOI is seen in the clinic with a blood pressure of 170/96 mm Hg. What will the nurse ask this patient?

a. Whether any antihypertensive medications are used
  b. Whether the patient drinks grapefruit juice
  c. To list all foods eaten that day
  d. Whether SSRIs are taken in addition to the MAOI

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Eazy416

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Because nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can increase lithium levels as much as 60, they should not be used by patients taking lithium. Aspirin does not have this effect. Lithium induces polyuria in 50 to 70 of patients, so patients should be advised to drink extra fluids, especially during exercise. Antihistamines have anticholinergic effects, which cause urinary hesitancy; this can be uncomfortable when patients experience the polyuria associated with lithium use. Muscle weakness and tremors can occur with lithium; tremors can be treated with beta blockers or by altering the lithium regimen.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Patients taking an MAOI should be counseled to follow strict dietary restrictions and to avoid all foods containing tyramine. Patients who consume such foods when taking an MAOI experience a hypertensive episode. Antihypertensive medications, given with an MAOI, will result in hypotension. Grapefruit juice does not alter the metabolism of an MAOI. SSRIs and MAOIs, when administered together, cause a serotonin syndrome.

rlane42

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library