This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client whose knee is inflamed after running a marathon is prescribed a regimen of rest, ice, and ... (Read 47 times)

madam-professor

A client whose knee is inflamed after running a marathon is prescribed a regimen of rest, ice, and elevation. The client says, I don't have time for all of that. Why doesn't the doctor just give me some medication? How should the nurse respond?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. I am not sure; you should ask when the doctor comes back in the room.
  2. You have overused your knee, so rest is a good treatment.
  3. Inflammation is a natural process. We would like to give your body a chance to heal itself first.
  4. The medications for this condition are very expensive and have major adverse effects.
  5. You need to slow down and take care of your body.

Question 2

A woman in her third trimester of pregnancy has a history of back pain. The client says, I do best on Doan's pills (magnesium salicylate), so I will just start taking them again. How should the nurse respond?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. If they helped you before, I would recommend you take them now.
  2. The magnesium salicylate in Doan's pills is not related to the salicylate in aspirin.
  3. I believe we should talk with the doctor to find a different medication for your discomfort.
  4. You should take aspirin instead.
  5. Have you tried any nonpharmaceutical pain relief measures?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dantucker

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2,3
Rationale 1: The nurse should be able to answer this question.
Rationale 2: Inflammation is a symptom of an underlying disorder. The underlying cause of the problem should be identified and treated.
Rationale 3: Inflammation is a natural process for ridding the body of antigens and is usually self-limiting.
Rationale 4: Many anti-inflammatory drugs are inexpensive and are safe if used according to directions.
Rationale 5: While the client may indeed need to slow down and pay more attention to health, this statement does not answer the client's question and is confrontational.
Global Rationale: Inflammation is not a disease but a symptom of an underlying disorder. Whenever possible, the cause of the inflammation is identified and treated. Inflammation is a natural process for ridding the body of antigens, and it is usually self-limiting. The nurse should be provide teaching such as nonpharmacologic treatments such as ice packs and rest being used for mild symptoms whenever applicable. Many anti-inflammatory drugs are inexpensive and are safe if used according to directions. While the client may indeed need to slow down and pay more attention to health, stating You need to slow down and take care of your body does not answer the client's question and is confrontational.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3,5
Rationale 1: Magnesium salicylate is pregnancy category D in the third trimester.
Rationale 2: The two drugs have salicylate in common and have similar contraindications and adverse effects.
Rationale 3: Magnesium salicylate should not be used. A different drug should be chosen.
Rationale 4: Aspirin is pregnancy class D in the third semester.
Rationale 5: Nonpharmaceutical treatment measures should be used first, as drugs should be avoided during pregnancy.
Global Rationale: Magnesium salicylate is an oral drug approved for fever and mild to moderate pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis, RA, bursitis, and other muscle or joint conditions. It inhibits prostaglandin synthesis just as aspirin, but it is less potent, causes less GI irritation, and has less effect on platelet aggregation than aspirin. Magnesium salicylate should not be administered to patients with known hypersensitivity to other salicylates. Other contraindications and adverse effects are similar to those of aspirin. This drug is pregnancy category C for the first and second trimesters and D for the third trimester. Nonpharmaceutical treatment measures should be used first, as drugs should be avoided during pregnancy.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library