This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse completes medication education with a client prescribed hydrochlorothiazide. The nurse ... (Read 29 times)

NguyenJ

The nurse completes medication education with a client prescribed hydrochlorothiazide . The nurse determines that teaching has been effective when the client makes which statement?

1. I take my medication early in the morning.
  2. I really need to avoid grapefruit juice when I take this medication.
  3. If I develop a cough, I should call my doctor.
  4. I need to avoid salt substitutes and potassium-rich foods.

Question 2

A client with hypertension has experienced heart failure. The nurse notes that the client is receiving nifedipine (Procardia). Which is a priority assessment for the nurse?

1. Auscultate breath sounds for crackles.
  2. Assess level of orientation.
  3. Review recent lab results for hypokalemia.
  4. Assess urinary output.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

k2629

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Taking hydrochlorothiazide early in the day will help prevent nocturia.
Rationale 2: Grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolism of the calcium channel blockers.
Rationale 3: Development of a cough occurs with ACE inhibitors, not with diuretics.
Rationale 4: Hydrochlorothiazide is a potassium-excreting diuretic, and potassium supplementation is often necessary.
Global Rationale: Taking hydrochlorothiazide early in the day will help prevent nocturia. Grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolism of the calcium channel blockers. Development of a cough occurs with ACE inhibitors, not with diuretics. Hydrochlorothiazide is a potassium-excreting diuretic, and potassium supplementation is often necessary.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Some calcium channel blockers can reduce myocardial contractility and can worsen heart failure. Crackles in the lungs can indicate pulmonary edema, which could indicate heart failure.
Rationale 2: Level of orientation could be decreased with heart failure, but it is not a priority assessment at this time.
Rationale 3: Calcium channel blockers do not cause hypokalemia.
Rationale 4: Urinary output could be decreased with heart failure, but it is not a priority assessment at this time.
Global Rationale: Some calcium channel blockers can reduce myocardial contractility and can worsen heart failure. Crackles in the lungs can indicate pulmonary edema, which could indicate heart failure. Level of orientation could be decreased with heart failure, but it is not a priority assessment at this time. Calcium channel blockers do not cause hypokalemia. Urinary output could be decreased with heart failure, but it is not a priority assessment at this time.

NguyenJ

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

LVPMS

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library