This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has completed medication education for a client who is prescribed testosterone. The nurse ... (Read 25 times)

eruditmonkey@yahoo.com

The nurse has completed medication education for a client who is prescribed testosterone. The nurse evaluates that learning has been effective when the client makes which statements?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. I will weigh myself twice weekly and report any sudden weight gain.
  2. I need to have my serum cholesterol levels checked frequently.
  3. I need check my blood pressure weekly while on this medication.
  4. I don't need to use birth control while taking this medication.
  5. My blood glucose may go up while on this medication.

Question 2

A client has been receiving androgen medication. What laboratory test should the nurse plan to assess?

1. Thyroid function
  2. Blood glucose
  3. Cardiac enzymes
  4. Hemoglobin and hematocrit

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jlaineee

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3,5
Rationale 1: Testosterone can cause salt retention, leading to water retention, so weight should be checked twice weekly.
Rationale 2: Testosterone therapy can increase cholesterol levels and lead to cardiovascular disease, so serum cholesterol levels must be monitored during therapy.
Rationale 3: The patient should monitor blood pressure frequently.
Rationale 4: Testosterone is not a contraceptive, so birth control should be used.
Rationale 5: Testosterone therapy can increase blood glucose.
Global Rationale: Testosterone can cause salt retention, leading to water retention, so weight should be checked twice weekly. This may also cause increased blood pressure, so weekly monitoring is necessary. Lipids and glucose may increase. Testosterone is not a form of birth control, so other measures are necessary.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Androgens do not affect thyroid function.
Rationale 2: Androgens do not affect serum glucose levels.
Rationale 3: Androgens do not affect cardiac function.
Rationale 4: An adverse effect of androgens is increased red blood cell production. Hemoglobin and hematocrit should be monitored.
Global Rationale: An adverse effect of androgens is increased red blood cell production. Hemoglobin and hematocrit should be monitored. They do not affect thyroid function, serum glucose levels, or cardiac function.

eruditmonkey@yahoo.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

bimper21

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library