This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a client diagnosed with hypertension about lifestyle modifications. The nurse ... (Read 30 times)

khang

The nurse is teaching a client diagnosed with hypertension about lifestyle modifications. The nurse determines that teaching has been effective when the client makes which statement?

1. My father had hypertension, did nothing, and lived to be 90 years old.
  2. I won't be able to run the marathon anymore.
  3. I need to get started on my medications right away.
  4. I know I need to give up my cigarettes and alcohol.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client diagnosed with hyperkalemia. Which interventions are appropriate to include in the client's plan of care?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. A calcium supplement
  2. A potassium supplement
  3. Hypotonic fluids
  4. Buffering agents
  5. Citrus fruits in the diet

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

quynhmickitran

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: The fact that the client's father had hypertension and lived to be 90 years old does not mean that the client will have the same experience; the client is in denial.
Rationale 2: Increasing physical activity is an important lifestyle modification for controlling hypertension.
Rationale 3: Implementing lifestyle modifications might eliminate the need for pharmacotherapy, so the client might not have to take medication right away.
Rationale 4: Limiting intake of alcohol and discontinuing the use of tobacco products are important nonpharmacologic methods for controlling hypertension.
Global Rationale: Limiting intake of alcohol and discontinuing the use of tobacco products are important nonpharmacologic methods for controlling hypertension. The fact that the client's father had hypertension and lived to be 90 years old does not mean that the client will have the same experience; the client is in denial. Increasing physical activity is an important lifestyle modification for controlling hypertension. Implementing lifestyle modifications might eliminate the need for pharmacotherapy, so the client might not have to take medication right away.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3,4
Rationale 1: A calcium supplement would be appropriate in hypocalcemia, not hyperkalemia.
Rationale 2: Potassium supplements would be appropriate for hypokalemia, not hyperkalemia.
Rationale 3: Hypotonic fluids are often used in the treatment of hyperkalemia.
Rationale 4: Buffering agents are often used in the treatment of hyperkalemia.
Rationale 5: Citrus fruits are high in potassium and should not be included in the plan of care for a client with hyperkalemia.
Global Rationale: Hypotonic fluids and buffering agents are often used in the treatment of hyperkalemia. A calcium supplement would be appropriate in hypocalcemia, not hyperkalemia. Potassium supplements would be appropriate for hypokalemia, not hyperkalemia. Citrus fruits are high in potassium and should not be included in the plan of care for a client with hyperkalemia.

khang

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Mochi

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library