This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a client with a lipid disorder about dietary modifications to manage the ... (Read 29 times)

jlmhmf

The nurse is teaching a client with a lipid disorder about dietary modifications to manage the condition.

Which statement by the client indicates an appropriate understanding of the rationale underlying a recommendation to increase the intake of plant sterols?
  1. I will eat oatmeal or cold oat cereal for breakfast every morning.
  2. I will try to increase the amount of lettuce I eat.
  3. I will snack on toasted pumpkin seeds.
  4. If I eat enough spinach and other green vegetables, I can stop taking my cholesterol-lowering medic

Question 2

An adult client is 75 pounds over the ideal weight, eats a diet high in carbohydrates, and drinks 34 alcoholic beverages daily. Which pattern of dyslipidemia most likely fits all the findings and behaviors demonstrated by this client?

1. Elevated VLDL, triglycerides, and cholesterol; glucose intolerance
  2. Elevated chylomicrons, normal cholesterol, triglycerides more than three times normal
  3. Elevated LDL, VLDL, total cholesterol, chylomicrons; triglycerides more than three times normal
  4. Elevated LDL and total cholesterol, normal VLDL and triglycerides

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kkenney

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Oats are a recommended source of plant sterols.
Rationale 2: Only dark green, leafy vegetables are a good source of plant sterols.
Rationale 3: Pumpkin seeds do not contain any significant amount of plant sterols.
Rationale 4: Increasing plant sterol intake is recommended as an adjunctive strategy for persons taking lipid-lowering drugs.
Global Rationale: Oats are a recommended source of plant sterols. Only dark green, leafy vegetables are a good source of plant sterols. Pumpkin seeds do not contain any significant amount of plant sterols. Increasing plant sterol intake is recommended as an adjunctive strategy for persons taking lipid-lowering drugs.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: These alterations represent endogenous dyslipidemia (type IV), which is common in middle-aged adults and associated with obesity and with high alcohol and carbohydrate intake.
Rationale 2: These alterations represent exogenous hyperlipidemia (type I), which usually occurs in childhood.
Rationale 3: These alterations represent type V hyperlipidemia.
Rationale 4: These alterations represent familial hyperlipdemia (type IIa).
Global Rationale: These alterations represent endogenous dyslipidemia (type IV), which is common in middle-aged adults and associated with obesity and with high alcohol and carbohydrate intake. The other options are indicative of exogenous hyperlipidemia (type I), which usually occurs in childhood; type V hyperlipidemia; and familial hyperlipdemia (type IIa).

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library