This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with Parkinson disease is prescribed a medication that affects a particular central nervous ... (Read 27 times)

Bernana

A client with Parkinson disease is prescribed a medication that affects a particular central nervous system neurotransmitter. Which neurotransmitter is the medication acting on to treat the symptoms of Parkinson disease?

1. Acetylcholine
  2. Norepinephrine
  3. An endorphin
  4. Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA)

Question 2

A client is prescribed medication to treat bipolar disorder. Which statement indicates the client understands the medication regimen?

1. This medication is going to cure me.
  2. I will take this medication when I remember to.
  3. This medication may help my symptoms.
  4. This is the only medication that I can take for my illness.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tranoy

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Cholinergic synapses utilize acetylcholine as the neurotransmitter. Cholinergic synapses are especially important in the pathophysiology of Parkinson disease and Alzheimer disease.
Rationale 2: Norepinephrine can be excitatory or inhibitory, and it plays a role in depression, memory, and panic attacks.
Rationale 3: The endorphin receptor molecule is the opioid receptor, which is involved in pain reduction.
Rationale 4: GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS, and it plays a role in anxiety disorders and seizures.
Global Rationale: Cholinergic synapses utilize acetylcholine as the neurotransmitter. Cholinergic synapses are especially important in the pathophysiology of Parkinson disease and Alzheimer disease. Norepinephrine can be excitatory or inhibitory, and it plays a role in depression, memory, and panic attacks. The endorphin receptor molecule is the opioid receptor, which is involved in pain reduction. GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS, and it plays a role in anxiety disorders and seizures.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: The medication is not a cure, but it may help treat the symptoms that the client is experiencing. This statement indicates the need for further education.
Rationale 2: The client should be instructed to take the medication as prescribed. This statement indicates the need for further education.
Rationale 3: This statement indicates the client understands the purpose of the medication regimen.
Rationale 4: There are many different medications the client can take to treat bipolar disorder. This statement indicates the need for further education.
Global Rationale: The client statement that the medication may help the symptoms indicates appropriate understanding of the medication regimen. All other statements indicate the need for further education regarding the medication regimen.

Bernana

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

deja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library