This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is evaluating instruction provided to a client who is prescribed pyridostigmine ... (Read 9 times)

armygirl

The nurse is evaluating instruction provided to a client who is prescribed pyridostigmine (Mestinon). Which client statements indicate teaching has been effective?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. I am taking this medication for muscle weakness.
  2. I am to take a total of ten 60-mg tablets spaced throughout the day.
  3. I should use nightlights at home for safety when walking.
  4. I should keep all appointments with my health care provider because I will need blood work.
  5. Black tarry stools are an expected effect of this medication.

Question 2

What is a priority nursing diagnosis for the client receiving anticholinergic drugs?

1. Injury, Risk for related to CNS changes related to medications
  2. Knowledge, Deficient related to new medications
  3. Gas Exchange, Impaired related to respiratory secretions
  4. Urinary Retention related to loss of bladder tone

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

leahchrapun

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3,4
Rationale 1: Stating the reason for the medication is an indication that instruction has been effective.
Rationale 2: Stating the dosing schedule is an indication that instruction has been effective.
Rationale 3: Stating safety precautions when taking this medication is an indication that instruction has been effective.
Rationale 4: The client will need follow-up laboratory studies on liver function. This is an indication that instruction has been effective.
Rationale 5: Black tarry stools could indicate gastric bleeding and are not an expected effect of this medication. This occurrence should be reported to the health care provider.
Global Rationale: Stating the reason for the medication, the dosing schedule, safety precautions, and the need to monitor liver function through laboratory studies are all indications that instruction has been effective. Black tarry stools could indicate gastric bleeding and are not an expected effect of this medication. This occurrence should be reported to the health care provider.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: A risk of injury related to CNS changes related to medications may occur but is not the priority.
Rationale 2: A knowledge deficit related to new medications is present but is not an immediate priority.
Rationale 3: Impaired gas exchange related to respiratory secretions is the most critical priority to address.
Rationale 4: Urinary retention related to loss of bladder tone is present but is not an immediate priority.
Global Rationale: Impaired gas exchange related to respiratory secretions is the most critical priority to address. A risk of injury related to CNS changes related to medications may occur but is not the priority. A knowledge deficit related to new medications is present but is not an immediate priority. Urinary retention related to loss of bladder tone is present but is not an immediate priority.

armygirl

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

anyusername12131

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Side effects from substance abuse include nausea, dehydration, reduced productivitiy, and dependence. Though these effects usually worsen over time, the constant need for the substance often overcomes rational thinking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library