This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse knows that pregnancy affects the absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of ... (Read 26 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

The nurse knows that pregnancy affects the absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of drugs. Which one is the least affected by pregnancy?

1. Distribution
  2. Metabolism
  3. Excretion
  4. Absorption

Question 2

During a class about the use of medications during pregnancy, the nurse determines that additional information is required when a client makes which statement?

1. Exposure to some medications can result in my baby's death or in malformations.
  2. The baby can only be harmed by medication during the first trimester.
  3. If I breast-feed my baby, drugs can come through my breast milk.
  4. It is important not to take over-the-counter (OTC) drugs during my pregnancy.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

onowka

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: Distribution results in greater hemodilution of plasma proteins and drugs.
Rationale 2: Metabolism is the least affected by pregnancy.
Rationale 3: Excretion is enhanced by increases in renal plasma flow, glomerular filtration rate, creatinine clearance, and renal tubular reabsorption.
Rationale 4: Absorption is delayed related to changes in the gastrointestinal tract during pregnancy.
Global Rationale: Metabolism is the least affected by pregnancy. Distribution results in greater hemodilution of plasma proteins and drugs. Excretion is enhanced by increases in renal plasma flow, glomerular filtration rate, creatinine clearance, and renal tubular reabsorption. Absorption is delayed related to changes in the gastrointestinal tract during pregnancy.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: Some medications, when given during pregnancy, are teratogens. Teratogens have varying effects on body systems, from minor to severe.
Rationale 2: Teratogens can affect different body systems at different times during the pregnancy.
Rationale 3: Most maternal medications can be transferred to the infant through the ingestion of breast milk.
Rationale 4: OTC drugs have the same potential risk for causing malformations to the fetus as do prescription drugs.
Global Rationale: Teratogens can affect different body systems at different times during the pregnancy; therefore, this client would require additional education. Some medications, when given during pregnancy, are teratogens. Teratogens have varying effects on body systems, from minor to severe. Most maternal medications can be transferred to the infant through the ingestion of breast milk. OTC drugs have the same potential risk for causing malformations to the fetus as do prescription drugs.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Laurenleakan

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library