This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is providing discharge teaching about an opiate analgesic for a patient. The nurse correctly ... (Read 37 times)

penza

A nurse is providing discharge teaching about an opiate analgesic for a patient. The nurse correctly tells the patient that the greatest potential for abuse exists with drugs from which schedule?

a. I
  b. II
  c. III
  d. IV

Question 2

A prescriber orders a drug that is considered off label. A patient asks what off label means. The nurse correctly explains that off label means that a drug is

a. still being tested in the FDA experimental stages.
  b. FDA approved for one use but is being prescribed for another purpose.
  c. in the fast-track FDA approval process to expedite use.
  d. a schedule I drug but may be used as a schedule II drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bfulkerson77

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Schedule I drugs have the greatest potential for abuse.
Drugs from schedule II have less potential for abuse.
Drugs from schedule III also have less potential for abuse.
Drugs from schedule IV do not have the greatest potential for abuse.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The term off label indicates that the drug is approved for one use but may be used for a different purpose.
A drug still being tested in the FDA experimental stages is called an investigational drug.
The term fast track refers to the expeditious nature in which a drug would be channeled for approval by the FDA.
The classification of scheduled drugs has to do with abuse potential, not labeled or unlabeled uses.

penza

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

kjohnson

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library