This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is visiting with the wife of a patient. The wife tells the nurse that they are planning a ... (Read 46 times)

BRWH

The nurse is visiting with the wife of a patient. The wife tells the nurse that they are planning a cruise to the Bahamas, but she confesses that she is prone to motion sickness.

Which of the following herbal supplements could the nurse recommend to alleviate or prevent motion sickness?
  a. Saw palmetto
  b. Valerian
  c. Ginger root
  d. Black cohosh

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who would like to try a natural alternative to help alleviate some anxiety. The patient tells the nurse, I plan to start taking valerian. I think it will relieve some of my anxiety.

What patient education is essential for the nurse to provide?
  a. You should take your supplement in the late evening.
  b. Weigh yourself daily and report weight loss.
  c. Check your pulse prior to each dose.
  d. Take this agent only on a full stomach.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Edwyer

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Enough evidence has been collected to support the benefits of ginger root for preventing and treating motion sickness, morning sickness, seasickness, and postoperative nausea and vomiting.
Saw palmetto is taken to relieve urinary symptoms related to BPH.
Valerian is used primarily to promote sleep.
Black cohosh is used for treating symptoms of menopause.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Valerian root is used primarily to promote sleep. It can also be taken to reduce anxiety related restlessness. It may cause daytime drowsiness, so it should be taken in the evening when driving and other potentially dangerous activities are not performed.
Weight loss is not a side effect, therefore daily weights are not indicated.
Checking the pulse prior to each dose is not indicated.
Taking valerian on a full stomach is not necessary.

BRWH

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

irishcancer18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library