This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing education to a group of dermatology nurses. The nurse asks the group, Which ... (Read 29 times)

V@ndy87

The nurse is providing education to a group of dermatology nurses. The nurse asks the group, Which antibiotic is frequently ordered to treat moderate to severe acne? Select the nurses' correct response.

a. Amoxicillin
  b. Minocycline (Minocin)
  c. Azithromycin (Zithromax)
  d. Tretinoin (Retin-A)

Question 2

The nurse is providing education to a 24-year-old patient with severe nodulocystic acne vulgaris.

The nurse anticipates treatment with isotretinoin (Accutane). The nurse is explaining the iPLEDGE program to the patient. Which statement by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?
  a. Pregnancy must be absolutely ruled out prior to starting the medication.
  b. I will receive oral and written warnings about the high risk of fetal harm if the medication is taken during pregnancy.
  c. I must use two effective forms of birth control.
  d. I will implement birth control measures at least 3 weeks prior to starting the medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

djofnc

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Currently, doxycycline and minocycline are considered the antibiotics of choice for treatment of moderate to severe acne.
Amoxicillin and azithromycin are not indicated for treatment of moderate to severe acne.
Although tretinoin is used to treat acne, it is a retinoid, not an antibiotic.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The patient must begin using birth control measures at least 1 month prior to initiation of therapy and for 1 month after stopping therapy; this statement indicates that further teaching is needed.
These responses are consistent with the iPLEDGE program; further teaching is not needed.

V@ndy87

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

nothere

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

Intradermal injections are somewhat difficult to correctly administer because the skin layers are so thin that it is easy to accidentally punch through to the deeper subcutaneous layer.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library