This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has received phenylephrine for measurement of refraction. The nurse provides education ... (Read 37 times)

imowrer

A patient has received phenylephrine for measurement of refraction. The nurse provides education about the adverse effects associated with phenylephrine. Which statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. I may experience ocular pain.
  b. I may experience cloudy vision.
  c. My brows may ache.
  d. My sinuses may be inflamed.

Question 2

The nurse at an ophthalmologist's office is training a new nurse. They care for a patient who has just received fluorescein. Which statement or statements by the new nurse best demonstrate understanding of fluorescein? (Select all that apply.)

a. It may cause nausea and vomiting.
  b. It is used to inspect the pupils for regularity.
  c. It is used to inspect the cornea for lesions.
  d. It may cause bradycardia.
  e. It may cause pruritus.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ptupou85

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Inflamed sinuses are not an adverse effect of phenylephrine; further teaching is required.
Adverse effects associated with phenylephrine are ocular pain, corneal clouding, and brow ache; no further teaching is needed.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A, C, E
Fluorescein may cause nausea and vomiting; it is used to inspect the cornea for lesions; and it may cause pruritus. Nausea, vomiting, and pruritus are adverse effects of the drug.
Fluorescein is not used to inspect the pupils for regularity. This can be done with a pen light.
Fluorescein does not cause bradycardia. Bradycardia is associated with beta blockers.

imowrer

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Missbam101

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library