This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An obese patient is admitted to the unit. The blood glucose level is 379, urinalysis reveals ... (Read 27 times)

michelleunicorn

An obese patient is admitted to the unit. The blood glucose level is 379, urinalysis reveals glycosuria, blood pressure is 178/99, and the patient complains of muscle aches and weakness

The patient also exhibits a moon face and buffalo hump. The nurse recognizes these signs and symptoms as ___________________ ___ and anticipates ___________________ __.
  a. Graves' disease; treatment directed at the cause
  b. Addison's disease; administration of fludrocortisone
  c. Cushing's syndrome; treatment directed at the cause
  d. diabetes; insulin replacement therapy

Question 2

A patient has recently been diagnosed with adrenal hormone insufficiency. The nurse is providing patient education about the use of glucocorticoids. Which statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. I should wear a medical ID bracelet at all times.
  b. I should increase my dose when I am stressed.
  c. I should lower my dose when I am stressed.
  d. I should carry an adequate supply of medication with me at all times.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

efwsefaw

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Cushing's syndrome is manifested by obesity, hyperglycemia, glycosuria, hypertension, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, myopathy, hirsutism, a moon face, and a buffalo hump. Treatment is directed at the cause.
Graves' disease is not associated with the adrenal gland, but rather with the thyroid gland.
Addison's disease is manifested by weakness, emaciation, hypoglycemia, and increased pigmentation of the skin and mucous membranes.
Diabetes is manifested in many ways but not by a moon face or buffalo hump.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
At times of stress, patients with Addison's disease must increase their glucocorticoid dosage. Failure to increase the dose may be fatal. This statement best demonstrates the need for further teaching.
These statements are appropriate and demonstrate understanding. The patient should always wear a medical ID bracelet and carry extra medication, even an injection pen.

michelleunicorn

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

billybob123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

Approximately 15–25% of recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, many miscarriages often occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library