This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An obese patient is admitted to the unit. The blood glucose level is 379, urinalysis reveals ... (Read 29 times)

michelleunicorn

An obese patient is admitted to the unit. The blood glucose level is 379, urinalysis reveals glycosuria, blood pressure is 178/99, and the patient complains of muscle aches and weakness

The patient also exhibits a moon face and buffalo hump. The nurse recognizes these signs and symptoms as ___________________ ___ and anticipates ___________________ __.
  a. Graves' disease; treatment directed at the cause
  b. Addison's disease; administration of fludrocortisone
  c. Cushing's syndrome; treatment directed at the cause
  d. diabetes; insulin replacement therapy

Question 2

A patient has recently been diagnosed with adrenal hormone insufficiency. The nurse is providing patient education about the use of glucocorticoids. Which statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. I should wear a medical ID bracelet at all times.
  b. I should increase my dose when I am stressed.
  c. I should lower my dose when I am stressed.
  d. I should carry an adequate supply of medication with me at all times.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

efwsefaw

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Cushing's syndrome is manifested by obesity, hyperglycemia, glycosuria, hypertension, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, myopathy, hirsutism, a moon face, and a buffalo hump. Treatment is directed at the cause.
Graves' disease is not associated with the adrenal gland, but rather with the thyroid gland.
Addison's disease is manifested by weakness, emaciation, hypoglycemia, and increased pigmentation of the skin and mucous membranes.
Diabetes is manifested in many ways but not by a moon face or buffalo hump.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
At times of stress, patients with Addison's disease must increase their glucocorticoid dosage. Failure to increase the dose may be fatal. This statement best demonstrates the need for further teaching.
These statements are appropriate and demonstrate understanding. The patient should always wear a medical ID bracelet and carry extra medication, even an injection pen.

michelleunicorn

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

shewald78

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Cytomegalovirus affects nearly the same amount of newborns every year as Down syndrome.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Side effects from substance abuse include nausea, dehydration, reduced productivitiy, and dependence. Though these effects usually worsen over time, the constant need for the substance often overcomes rational thinking.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library