This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient who was diagnosed 2 days ago with hypothyroidism and has not yet ... (Read 69 times)

hubes95

The nurse is caring for a patient who was diagnosed 2 days ago with hypothyroidism and has not yet been started on a drug regimen.

Which of the following laboratory findings would the nurse most likely anticipate being consistent with a patient with hypothyroidism?
  a. Low serum T4 and elevated TSH
  b. High serum T4 and high TSH
  c. Low serum T4 and low TSH
  d. High serum T4 and low TSH

Question 2

A nurse is providing education for a patient recently started on levothyroxine (Levothroid).

To evaluate the patient's knowledge of the drug-drug interactions explained in the patient's educational session, the nurse asks the patient which drugs should not be taken concurrently with levothyroxine. Which statement made by the patient best demonstrates the need for further teaching?
  a. I should avoid taking iron supplements.
  b. I should take only Maalox and Mylanta for indigestion.
  c. I should anticipate an increase in the dose of levothyroxine if I start taking sertraline (Zoloft) again.
  d. I should anticipate a decrease in my dose of warfarin (Coumadin).

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

huda

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Lab findings consistent with hypothyroidism are a T4 level under 4.5 mcg/dL and a TSH level above 6 microunits/mL. T4 would have to be low and TSH would have to be high as a result of the hypothyroidism.
With hypothyroidism, the T4 is low and the TSH is high.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The statement that only Maalox and Mylanta should be taken for indigestion demonstrates a need for further teaching, because these medications are contraindicated with levothyroxine.
The patient should avoid taking iron supplements; no further teaching is necessary.
The interaction of sertraline and levothyroxine results in accelerated metabolism of levothyroxine and would require an increase in the dose of levothyroxine. Levothyroxine accelerates the degradation of warfarin and enhances its effects, therefore the dose may need to be reduced.

hubes95

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

6ana001

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library