This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient who was diagnosed 2 days ago with hypothyroidism and has not yet ... (Read 70 times)

hubes95

The nurse is caring for a patient who was diagnosed 2 days ago with hypothyroidism and has not yet been started on a drug regimen.

Which of the following laboratory findings would the nurse most likely anticipate being consistent with a patient with hypothyroidism?
  a. Low serum T4 and elevated TSH
  b. High serum T4 and high TSH
  c. Low serum T4 and low TSH
  d. High serum T4 and low TSH

Question 2

A nurse is providing education for a patient recently started on levothyroxine (Levothroid).

To evaluate the patient's knowledge of the drug-drug interactions explained in the patient's educational session, the nurse asks the patient which drugs should not be taken concurrently with levothyroxine. Which statement made by the patient best demonstrates the need for further teaching?
  a. I should avoid taking iron supplements.
  b. I should take only Maalox and Mylanta for indigestion.
  c. I should anticipate an increase in the dose of levothyroxine if I start taking sertraline (Zoloft) again.
  d. I should anticipate a decrease in my dose of warfarin (Coumadin).

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

huda

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Lab findings consistent with hypothyroidism are a T4 level under 4.5 mcg/dL and a TSH level above 6 microunits/mL. T4 would have to be low and TSH would have to be high as a result of the hypothyroidism.
With hypothyroidism, the T4 is low and the TSH is high.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The statement that only Maalox and Mylanta should be taken for indigestion demonstrates a need for further teaching, because these medications are contraindicated with levothyroxine.
The patient should avoid taking iron supplements; no further teaching is necessary.
The interaction of sertraline and levothyroxine results in accelerated metabolism of levothyroxine and would require an increase in the dose of levothyroxine. Levothyroxine accelerates the degradation of warfarin and enhances its effects, therefore the dose may need to be reduced.

hubes95

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

anyusername12131

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library