This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is taking warfarin (Coumadin) daily to prevent blood clots from forming in deep veins. ... (Read 42 times)

Zoey63294

A patient is taking warfarin (Coumadin) daily to prevent blood clots from forming in deep veins. Which statement made by the patient indicates that more teaching is needed about this therapy?

a. I have been eating more salads and other green, leafy vegetables to prevent con-stipation.
  b. I have been using acetaminophen (Tylenol) instead of aspirin for pain.
  c. Instead of a safety razor, I have been using an electric shaver.
  d. On hot days, I make sure to drink at least two quarts of water.

Question 2

Which drug must always be available on a unit where heparin therapy is occurring?

a. aspirin
  b. vitamin K
  c. protamine sulfate
  d. warfarin (Coumadin)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

shaquita

Answer to Question 1

A
Vitamin K is present in green, leafy vegetables and increases blood clotting by increasing the synthesis of specific clotting factors in the liver. Warfarin is a vitamin K antagonist. Ingestion of large amounts of vitamin K can counteract the therapeutic effects of warfarin.

Answer to Question 2

C
Protamine sulfate is the antidote to a heparin overdose. It should always be available wherever patients are receiving heparin.

Zoey63294

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library