This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is taking warfarin (Coumadin) daily to prevent blood clots from forming in deep veins. ... (Read 52 times)

Zoey63294

A patient is taking warfarin (Coumadin) daily to prevent blood clots from forming in deep veins. Which statement made by the patient indicates that more teaching is needed about this therapy?

a. I have been eating more salads and other green, leafy vegetables to prevent con-stipation.
  b. I have been using acetaminophen (Tylenol) instead of aspirin for pain.
  c. Instead of a safety razor, I have been using an electric shaver.
  d. On hot days, I make sure to drink at least two quarts of water.

Question 2

Which drug must always be available on a unit where heparin therapy is occurring?

a. aspirin
  b. vitamin K
  c. protamine sulfate
  d. warfarin (Coumadin)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

shaquita

Answer to Question 1

A
Vitamin K is present in green, leafy vegetables and increases blood clotting by increasing the synthesis of specific clotting factors in the liver. Warfarin is a vitamin K antagonist. Ingestion of large amounts of vitamin K can counteract the therapeutic effects of warfarin.

Answer to Question 2

C
Protamine sulfate is the antidote to a heparin overdose. It should always be available wherever patients are receiving heparin.

Zoey63294

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library