This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient in the emergency department developed stroke symptoms one hour ago. Which type of drug ... (Read 22 times)

evelyn o bentley

A patient in the emergency department developed stroke symptoms one hour ago. Which type of drug will the nurse expect to administer to resolve this problem?

a. Thrombolytic
  b. Thrombin inhibitor
  c. Antiplatelet drug
  d. Clotting factor synthesis inhibitor

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a patient about the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Which statement made by the patient indicates that more teaching is needed?

a. I should avoid taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) any time I am also taking an over-the-counter NSAID.
  b. Because aspirin causes me to have asthma, I should never take another NSAID like ibuprofen (Advil).
  c. I should try to avoid taking any NSAID, even over-the-counter NSAIDs, for more than a few days or a week.
  d. Because Celebrex (celecoxib) has so few side effects, I don't have to worry about how often I take it.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

BAOCHAU2803

Answer to Question 1

A
When an ischemic stroke occurs there is an existing clot in an artery in the brain. To resolve this problem early after symptoms develop, a thrombolytic drug (clot buster) is prescribed. These drugs must be administered within 3 hours of the onset of symptoms for stroke. Thrombin inhi-bitors and clotting factor synthesis inhibitors prevent new clots from forming and existing clots from getting larger. Antiplatelet drugs prevent platelets from clumping together (aggregating).

Answer to Question 2

D
Because celecoxib mostly suppresses the COX-2 pathway, allowing the normal housekeeping functions of the COX-1 pathway to continue, it has fewer side effects than COX-1 NSAIDs. However, if a patient takes more than the prescribed dose, the side effects are the same as for the COX-1 NSAIDs. This drug does not affect platelet action and blood clotting. So, bruising and gum bleeding are not expected side effects.

evelyn o bentley

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library