Author Question: The nurse notes all of the following changes in the last week in a 72-year-old nursing home patient ... (Read 22 times)

magmichele12

The nurse notes all of the following changes in the last week in a 72-year-old nursing home patient taking nortriptyline (Pamelor) for chronic pain. For which problem does the nurse imme-diately notify the prescriber?

a. Heart rate decreased from 80 to 72 beats per minute
  b. Respiratory rate decreased from 20 to 16 breaths per minute
  c. Weight increased from 128 to 137 pounds
  d. Morning blood glucose increased from 86 to 94 mg/dL

Question 2

Which statement by a patient who has been prescribed an antilipidemic drug indicates to the nurse the need for additional teaching?

a. Once my lipid profile levels are normal, I will no longer need to take the drug.
  b. Taking this drug will decrease my risk for having a heart attack.
  c. My goal is to increase my HDL cholesterol and decrease my LDL cholesterol.
  d. I will continue walking and watching the fat in my diet while I'm taking this drug.

pami445

Answer to Question 1

C
Nortriptyline is an antidepressant. These drugs can make heat failure worse and can cause urinary retention. Fluid retention with weight gain is a symptom of worsening heart failure. A weight gain of 9 pounds in a week is significant and an indicator of rapidly worsening heart failure.

Answer to Question 2

A
All lipid-lowering drugs reduce high blood lipid levels, but they do not cure the problem. Treat-ment is long term, and these drugs need to be taken even after blood fat levels are normal.