This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is scheduled for surgery, and an antihistamine and narcotic have been prescribed as ... (Read 113 times)

torybrooks

A client is scheduled for surgery, and an antihistamine and narcotic have been prescribed as preoperative drugs. The antihistamine increases the effect of the narcotic. This is an example of which drug effect?

a. Additive
  b. Potentiation
  c. Opposing
  d. Antagonistic

Question 2

A client is taking tetracycline for acne. It is a drug known to cause photosensitivity. To avoid phototoxicity, the nurse provides client teaching. Which statement by the client indicates a need for more teaching?

a. I need to avoid excessive sunlight.
  b. I need to use sunscreen when I go out during the day.
  c. I need to wear protective clothing over exposed skin areas in sunlight.
  d. I can stay in the sun for only about 4 hours a day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dlook33

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Potentiating drugs include those with different actions that when given together increase the function of one another.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Four hours would be too long to be exposed, especially during peak sunlight times.

torybrooks

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

kalskdjl1212

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

Barbituric acid, the base material of barbiturates, was first synthesized in 1863 by Adolph von Bayer. His company later went on to synthesize aspirin for the first time, and Bayer aspirin is still a popular brand today.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library