This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is scheduled for surgery, and an antihistamine and narcotic have been prescribed as ... (Read 111 times)

torybrooks

A client is scheduled for surgery, and an antihistamine and narcotic have been prescribed as preoperative drugs. The antihistamine increases the effect of the narcotic. This is an example of which drug effect?

a. Additive
  b. Potentiation
  c. Opposing
  d. Antagonistic

Question 2

A client is taking tetracycline for acne. It is a drug known to cause photosensitivity. To avoid phototoxicity, the nurse provides client teaching. Which statement by the client indicates a need for more teaching?

a. I need to avoid excessive sunlight.
  b. I need to use sunscreen when I go out during the day.
  c. I need to wear protective clothing over exposed skin areas in sunlight.
  d. I can stay in the sun for only about 4 hours a day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dlook33

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Potentiating drugs include those with different actions that when given together increase the function of one another.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Four hours would be too long to be exposed, especially during peak sunlight times.

torybrooks

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

xoxo123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library