This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has provided instructions to a client taking diazepam (Valium) for short-term anxiety. ... (Read 30 times)

madam-professor

The nurse has provided instructions to a client taking diazepam (Valium) for short-term anxiety. Which statement by the client indicates that the client needs additional instruction?

a. I will avoid drinking alcohol while taking this drug.
  b. I will continue to eat grapefruit while taking this drug.
  c. I will avoid using heavy equipment when taking this drug.
  d. I will contact the healthcare provider if I develop a rash.

Question 2

The nurse is aware that drugs can block, decrease, or increase the actions of another drug. Laxatives can have which effect on drug absorption?

a. Increase
  b. Decrease
  c. Block
  d. Enhance

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

choc0chan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Flavanoids are found in grapefruit, and taking diazepam (Valium) with grapefruit may increase drug levels. The other statements are appropriate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Laxatives increase gastric and intestinal emptying, decreasing the time the medication is in contact with the gastric lining and is available for drug absorption.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

The average person is easily confused by the terms pharmaceutics and pharmacology, thinking they are one and the same. Whereas pharmaceutics is the science of preparing and dispensing drugs (otherwise known as the science of pharmacy), pharmacology is the study of medications.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library