This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has provided instructions to a client taking diazepam (Valium) for short-term anxiety. ... (Read 32 times)

madam-professor

The nurse has provided instructions to a client taking diazepam (Valium) for short-term anxiety. Which statement by the client indicates that the client needs additional instruction?

a. I will avoid drinking alcohol while taking this drug.
  b. I will continue to eat grapefruit while taking this drug.
  c. I will avoid using heavy equipment when taking this drug.
  d. I will contact the healthcare provider if I develop a rash.

Question 2

The nurse is aware that drugs can block, decrease, or increase the actions of another drug. Laxatives can have which effect on drug absorption?

a. Increase
  b. Decrease
  c. Block
  d. Enhance

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

choc0chan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Flavanoids are found in grapefruit, and taking diazepam (Valium) with grapefruit may increase drug levels. The other statements are appropriate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Laxatives increase gastric and intestinal emptying, decreasing the time the medication is in contact with the gastric lining and is available for drug absorption.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library