This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a patient who is newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus about insulin ... (Read 69 times)

stevenposner

The nurse is teaching a patient who is newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus about insulin administration. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I may use a chosen site daily for up to a week.
  b. I should give each injection a knuckle length away from a previous injection.
  c. I will not be concerned about a raised knot under my skin from injecting insulin.
  d. Insulin is absorbed better from subcutaneous sites on my abdomen.

Question 2

The nurse will administer parenteral insulin to a patient who will receive a mixture of NPH (Humulin NPH) and regular (Humulin R). The nurse will give this medication via which route?

a. Intradermal
  b. Intramuscular
  c. Intravenous
  d. Subcutaneous

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bfulkerson77

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Lipohypertrophy is a raised lump or knot on the skin surface caused by repeated injections into the same site, and this can interfere with insulin absorption. Patients are encouraged to use the same site for a week, giving each injection a knuckle length away from the previous injection. Insulin absorption is greater when given in abdominal areas.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Insulin is given by the subcutaneous route. Only regular insulin may be given IV.

stevenposner

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

31809pancho

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library