This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing teaching for a patient who will begin using tobramycin ointment (Nebcin) 0.5 ... (Read 17 times)

ss2343

The nurse is providing teaching for a patient who will begin using tobramycin ointment (Nebcin) 0.5 inches 3 times daily. The patient currently uses pilocarpine HCl (Isopto Carpine) drops to treat glaucoma.

Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?
  a. I should apply the third dose of tobramycin at bedtime each day.
  b. I should instill the drops in the conjunctival sac of the lower eyelid.
  c. I should not stop the medications without consulting my provider.
  d. I should put the ointment on first and then instill the eyedrops.

Question 2

The nurse administers proparacaine HCl (Ophthaine) drops to a patient prior to an eye examination. What sign will the nurse look for to determine when the examination can begin?

a. Absence of the blink reflex
  b. Blurred vision
  c. Drying of the corneal epithelium
  d. Photophobia

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ebenov

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Patients using both drops and ointments should instill the drops prior to applying the ointment. Ointments should be applied at bedtime if possible. Drops should be instilled into the conjunctival sac of the lower lid. Patients should always consult with their provider before discontinuing any medication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Ophthaine is a topical anesthetic for the eye and causes loss of the blink reflex. Drying of the corneal epithelium is a side effect but occurs later as a result of the loss of the blink reflex. Blurred vision and photophobia result from mydriasis and miosis.

ss2343

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library