This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is preparing to administer methenamine (Hiprex) to a patient who has pyelonephritis. Which ... (Read 30 times)

panfilo

The nurse is preparing to administer methenamine (Hiprex) to a patient who has pyelonephritis. Which action will the nurse perform?

a. Increase fluid intake to 2000 mL per day.
  b. Monitor the patient's urine for dark brown color.
  c. Order alkaline foods 3 times daily.
  d. Request an order for a sulfonamide antibiotic.

Question 2

The nurse provides teaching for a patient who will begin taking nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin) to treat a urinary tract infection. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. If I experience gastrointestinal upset, I may take an antacid.
  b. I should notify my provider immediately if my urine is brown.
  c. I should take the drug with food and increase my fluid intake.
  d. Tingling of my fingers is a harmless side effect of this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Yixagurpuldink

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients who take methenamine can develop crystalluria and should increase fluid intake to prevent this effect. A reddish-brown color is a harmless side effect. Patients should have acidic urine, not alkaline urine. Methenamine taken with sulfonamides increases the risk of crystalluria.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Patients taking nitrofurantoin should take the drug with foods and increase fluid intake. The drug should not be taken with antacids. Brown urine is a harmless side effect. Tingling of extremities can indicate neuropathy.

panfilo

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

cici

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

It is difficult to obtain enough calcium without consuming milk or other dairy foods.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library