This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is diagnosed with mycoplasma pneumonia. Which antibiotic will the nurse expect the ... (Read 13 times)

Brittanyd9008

A patient is diagnosed with mycoplasma pneumonia. Which antibiotic will the nurse expect the provider to order to treat this infection?

a. Azithromycin (Zithromax)
  b. Clarithromycin (Biaxin)
  c. Erythromycin (E-Mycin)
  d. Fidaxomicin (Dificid)

Question 2

The nurse provides home care instructions for a patient who will take a high dose of azithromycin after discharge from the hospital. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may take antacids 2 hours before taking this drug.
  b. I should take acetaminophen for fever or mild pain.
  c. I should expect diarrhea to be a common, mild side effect.
  d. I should avoid dairy products while taking this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

emilymalinowski12

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Erythromycin is the drug of choice for treating mycoplasma pneumonia.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Azithromycin peak levels may be reduced by antacids when taken at the same time so patients should be cautioned to take antacids 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking the drug. High-dose azithromycin carries a risk for hepatotoxicity when taken with other potentially hepatotoxic drugs such as acetaminophen. Diarrhea may indicate pseudomembranous colitis and should be reported. There is no restriction for dairy products when taking azithromycin.

Brittanyd9008

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

carlsona147

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

Pope Sylvester II tried to introduce Arabic numbers into Europe between the years 999 and 1003, but their use did not catch on for a few more centuries, and Roman numerals continued to be the primary number system.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library