This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing education on timolol (Timoptic) to a patient who has been diagnosed with ... (Read 73 times)

cabate

The nurse is providing education on timolol (Timoptic) to a patient who has been diagnosed with open-angle glaucoma. Which statement by the patient best demonstrates the need for further teaching?

a. I should take my pulse prior to each application.
  b. I may experience blurred vision.
  c. I should cover my skin when I am out in the sun.
  d. I may experience stinging and dry eyes.

Question 2

A nurse counsels a patient who has just started taking buspirone. When should the nurse instruct the patient to expect to see an effect from the drug?

a. 1 hour
  b. 24-48 hours
  c. 1 week
  d. 8-12 weeks

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jharrington11

Answer to Question 1

C
Covering the skin when out in the sun is consistent with photosensitivity; timolol is associated with photophobia (sensitivity to bright lights). Further teaching is needed.
Because timolol is a beta blocker, it can reduce the heart rate. The patient should evaluate the pulse for slowing prior to medication administration. No further teaching is needed.
Adverse effects of timolol include transient ocular stinging, blurred vision, conjunctivitis, dry eyes, and photophobia, not photosensitivity. No further teaching is needed.

Answer to Question 2

c

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library